Friday, February 12, 2010

Organizing

I am always a little bit jealous of those peoples houses that look so neat and tidy. You know the kind. The ones where you walk in unexpected and everything is in its place and looks like you walked into a Pottery Barn add.

Well, I know I will never have that kind of house and I've come to a conclusion about it. It's because I have a "see all" type of house. First, when you walk into our house you get to see our living room, our dining room, our kitchen, and our office. One great big room to show the world how we live. Second, we have no storage, no entertainment center, no closets to hide our stuff behind. It's all right there for you to see. Now I am not complaining (OK, maybe a little), but I really do love our house and I LOVE all of our hand-me-down furniture. It all has memories. Like our couch, which was my parents even before I was born. Or our end tables and lamps that came from my grandparents. Our poor old kitchen table that was Bob's grandparents when they first got married. Every piece of furniture in our house was used by someone else first, except for Hannie's room.

But there really isn't much space for hiding things and that has been driving me crazy. So I'm organizing. First Hannalee's toys which seem to dominate the mess. I have been sorting them and putting them in their own containers. Apparently Hannie has been watching me because this is what I found:

It is all her toy magnets from her fridge game. She put them into a plastic container. Thanks for organizing Hannie.

I am also working on organizing my sewing area in our office. I started by putting up this shelf and attaching the jars to it. Then, all by my self, I made the thread holders. (I was a good girl this time and waited for Bob to come home before using the table saw.) You can buy thread holders at the store for $20, but I made them for $0.59 using old wood that we have laying around and some dowels.


This organizing is just a start and my house looks no where near clean. But I am already feeling better. Oh, and I finally got my floor mopped after three weeks without a mop. I know, gross! But when a mop head replacement costs $12 here and town and only $4 at Walmart, sometimes it's worth the wait.

No comments: