We are in limbo right now with potty training. First I will start out by saying this was not my idea. I am the one who is not ready. I'm not ready to put all the effort and time into it. And I have no idea how to do this. But Miss Hannalee wanted to give it a try.
It all began a few weeks ago when she started telling me when she was dirty and wanted her diaper changed. She would come over to me and pat her diaper and then lead me into her room to the changing table. Then, last week she came to me and patted her diaper. So I took her in to change her, but she wasn't wet. So I sent her back to play, but again she came and patted her diaper. Still dry. The third time she came to me, about 2 min after the first time, she was wet. She was telling me before she went pee.
We decided to get out the potty chair just in case she gave the signal again. Later that night she gave me that signal, but I was cutting up chicken so I asked Bob to take her into her little potty. He took her in, set her on the potty, then closed the door and left her to do her business. My first was reaction was that if he left her alone she'd get off the potty and wouldn't do it. But a moment later Hannie came out of the bathroom with wet hands. "Oh, no, " I thought. "She was playing in the big toilet." But no, she was playing in her toilet and there was pee in there. Gross!, but good job Hannalee!
With that success, I decided to give potty training a whirl. I bought the big girl undies, got out my parenting book on how to potty train, and Hannalee started downing the liquids. She had two more successes, but then stopped showing interest and the accidents started to happen. She would ignore me when I asked her to go potty and then have an accident 2 minutes later. She stopped giving me the potty signal and showed no interest in her potty chair.
So, I called it quits, which I was OK with. Then tonight she kept giving me the signal, but by the time we got to the potty she was wet. But on the 3rd signal we made it and she even went poo!
Now I'm not sure what to do. Should I go head first and just push the potty training? Or should I keep waiting for her to go when ever she wants and keep the diapers on for backup? I'm just afraid this is my potty training window and if I wait she'll be in diapers till she's 4. But I'm also afraid she's to young and that we'll both end up frustrated. So any advice would be greatly appreciated from you veteran moms.
Sunday, February 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh man you're lucky! I would absolutely go for it! We bought the cloth Gerber training pants. They are padded in the middle to absorb more, and we would put two pairs on Bennett. After we did that (and quit using pull-ups) it didn't take long. Way to go!
Post a Comment