A while ago I found a blog where a lady had made bookshelves out of rain gutters. (Check out http://raisingolives.com/2009/07/raingutter-book-shelves-tutorial/ to see how to make these. I love how she put the shelves next to the kid's beds.) They are so cool because they make the books face with their covers out instead of their spines out. I had a professor spend a while lecture on the importance of organizing your books to encourage reading. One of the points she stressed was displaying books with their covers showing. So, when I saw the rain gutter shelves I fell in love.
This week I got the rain gutters, cut them into the right sizes, and mounted them. Bob was hesitant to let me drill holes into Hannalee's walls after the hours we spent patching and painting her room. But I assured him these bookshelves would be well worth it. After I put them up (all by myself might I add :0) he was quite impressed.
So was Hannie. She spent the next half hour sitting by the bookshelves "reading" the books. She loves books. All day she drags her books out and "reads" them or guides me by my finger to the recliner where she has a stack of books for me to read to her. I love it!
Saturday, January 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
This is seriously awesome. Britney you must be so proud. I love these. I think that's so neat that they face out to encourage reading. You're amazing!!
I need your email address! my blog is private now and i need to send you and invite. I also am totally going to do those shelves in owens room! they are so cool!
Sweet shelves. I see Wacky Wednesday on the floor . . . Anya LOVES that one.
Post a Comment