My dad's cows live a luxurious life during the summer. They get to roam the mountains near his home all summer and graze on green grass. As soon as the first snow falls the cows all congregate to the feed lot at the bottom of the farm. My dad feeds them here until there is a substantial amount of snow on the ground. Then we all heard them home where they will eat hey, have babies, and then head back up to the mountain in the late spring.
Last week was the cattle drive. Bob was excited that he could get the day off and finally have a chance to come. He was designated the truck driver. Last year we had a fiasco at the storage sheds. The whole heard turned in there, thinking it was our road, and ended up on Burley's lane going the wrong way. So, this year it was my job to block the storage sheds. I parked my car perpendicular in the storage sheds drive and "stood guard". Soon I could see the cows following the tractor and feeder up the road. The cows all turned to look at me, but I thought I had it and that they would keep going. They did, about 100 yards. Then the decided to jump the snow bank and head in my direction any way. I ran thought the knee deep snow to head them off, but the whole heard, kept coming in my direction. Thankfully my uncle and cousin were there "guarding" the Legion's drive. So they were able to run over and help me. We finally got them turned back to the road when a snow plow come flying past and turned them all back on us. Again we got them turned around and following the tractor. After that it was pretty smooth sailing and the headed home. (Except for one deranged cow that kept chasing after my brother. They left her on the feed lot and went back up with the tractor and trailer. The only way they could get her in the trailer was by using my dad as bait. She chased him right into the trailer.)
Thursday, January 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh the joys of raising cattle. I grew up on cattle ranch and that sure brought back many many memories.
Post a Comment