Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Going Domestic

Growing up my mom never canned, she never had the time. So, when I married Bob and he asked me to can food, I had no idea how. I make freezer jam and I even tried my hand at some grape juice last year. But Bob really wanted me to try salsa. I've always heard that you have to be very careful when canning tomatoes so you don't get botchulism . Bob thought this was just an excuse to get out of canning. When he saw an add in the paper for a tomato/salsa canning class, I took it just for him.

It was a great class and I learned a lot. Including the fact that you do have to be very precise when canning tomatoes so you don't get botchulism, Bob.

So this week I tried my hand at a bit of canning. It wasn't too hard, but boy does it take a long time. I spent both of Hannalee's naps chopping, mixing and preparing the salsa. And I think my stove was on all day long. (Thankfully, the weather has been cooler here so my house didn't get too hot.)

I got most of the veggies for the salsa from our garden. (I had to buy hot peppers because all of ours turned out to be the sweet peppers.)

Aren't they beautiful?

After 4 hours of work this is all I get? Three small pints of salsa!? Enjoy Bob!

(If you were wondering if I could count or not, the third on is half eaten already and in the fridge.)

We also picked the apricots off our tree in the back so I canned a few of those with my Grandma's coaching over the phone.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Yeah, I've only done freezer packing with our tomatoes for those very same reasons. In fact, that's all I've done is freezer packing for any of my fruits/veggies. Way to go on canning, I'm going to have to try it out someday.

Lindy Salmon said...

Wow, totally domestic. Last month I managed to mess up freezer jam, yep, I'm the first person EVER!

We're Hatchin' said...

Holy Cow!! I've been wondering about you forever! Where are you at and how cute is your little girl?! I saw the tribute to Iris and it brought back so many memories! That was a good year, one I look back on with fondness! Just seeing your pictures brought back a ton of memories about you. I hope you, Bob, and Hanalee are doing well. Your salsa looks FABULOUS, but then again, you were always a great cook!!

Jen Frame said...

That's beautiful! I am so impressed! Great job!!