Friday, May 14, 2010

A Child's Fascination

I wish I would look at the world more often from a child's perspective. They can see the marvelous and wondrous that God has created for us. They can find joy in simple pleasures that, I in my busy life, pass by and overlook.

Hannalee loves to take walks to visit our neighbor's horses. The walk is only a quarter of a mile, but this walk can take us 30 minutes or more. I focus on our destination, seeing the horses, while Hannalee takes in everything around us. She has to walk off the side of the road where she can feel the unevenness under her shoes. She stops to point out the birds singing on the power lines (something I didn't even hear). She likes to stop to pick up a stick or a rock. She stops to tell me that her shoes are pretty.

The other day she stopped to explore a dandelion "puff-ball". She pointed to it, not knowing whether she should touch it. I picked it for her then told her to blow at it. She did and a few seeds flew off. She looked concerned until she saw me smiling. I told her to blow again. More seeds flew off. She giggled. Now when she sees one she makes a blowing sound.

No comments: