When Hannalee was younger, I had told Bob that I wanted to put her in preschool when she was 4. I thought I would do Joy school with some local moms when she was three. Bob thought the Joy school was good, but said no to the Preschool. He thought it was silly that we send her to preschool when I was a certified teacher.
Now as Hannalee turned three, Bob suggested we put her in preschool now. (Joy school wasn't an option since almost all of the other mom's with 3 year olds around me are having babies now or very soon.) The reason for Bob's change of heart? A very active, stubborn, whiny three year old and her mother that is going crazy being at home 12 hours alone with her.
So, I set out to find the perfect preschool. But did you know that most people start registering their kids back in February?! So all the small in-home preschools were full. There was one in town and it seemed the only option. I wasn't very excited about it because there was only one teacher and 28 kids! That's worse than public school.
I kept holding off registering her, hoping the last preschool of my choice would call me back. Finally I felt like I had to register her for the 28 kid one or not at all. But I didn't feel good about it and felt like I should wait.
That day my choice school called me back and said they had one last opening.
"I'll be there first thing in the morning to sign her up!"
Hannalee was excited to be going to preschool. She'd say, "I go to preschool all by myself. I don't need mommy anymore. I'm a big girl."
So the day finally arrived. Hannalee's first day of preschool. She was up and ready to go early.
I was also so excited I way over estimated the travel time and ended up 20 minutes early. When we entered the foyer Hannalee got a bit nervous and took my hand. But then her teacher welcomed her by name and Hannalee went over, gave her teacher a hug, and never looked back. I stayed out in the foyer for a few minutes and watch, just in case she really did need me. But she was content.
I cried the whole way home. My baby girl is growing up.
When I came and picked her up she was happy and bright eyed, though the only thing she would tell me about preschool is that she colored pictures for daddy and played with toys.
Sigh. This will be good for both of us.
Wednesday, September 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Yaaaaaay for preschool! Glad she loved it, Bridger loves it too, and it's nice to have a 'little' break ;) We need to take them to the park one of these days before it starts getting cold.
I started Colin in Joy School for the same reason. 3 years is WAY harder than 2 in my opinion. Good luck.
Post a Comment