Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hannalee's Big Kid Bed

I am amazed at how well Hannalee is transitioning into a "big kid" as she likes to be called. (She will correct you if you call her a little girl or a little kid and say, "No! Big kid.")



Last summer we found a toddler bed at a garage sale. Oddly, it actually had my name painted on it and it was even spelled right! It was a meant to be purchase and only $5. So I repainted it white and some day when I get brave enough I want to antique it.

A few weeks ago, we decided it was time to get her into her toddler bed so the crib could be ready for the baby. We moved the crib to the other side of the room and put her big kid bed where her crib was. Hannalee was so excited.

She loves her new bed. When we would tell her that it was time for naps or for bed she would make sure we knew to put her in her big kid bed. "Sleep in new bed, not crib," she'd tell us.



Luckily she has slept pretty well in her new bed and has no desire to go back to the crib. She has even came to the acceptance that the crib will be for baby brother. She also stays in the bed in the morning and after naps until someone comes to tell her she can get out. (She has her moments when she can be obedient.)

I also made her a big blanket for her new bed in hopes that it was big enough to stay tucked in the sides so it wouldn't come off her in the middle of the night. (We have to get up about twice a night to put the blankets back on her.) Unfortunately, she still wiggles so much that the big blanket some how comes loose too. And I've tried to teach her how to put her own blankets on, but in the middle of the night she's too disoriented to figure it out and ends up throwing a fit.

The most recent event of the big kid bed is that she has fallen out the past two night. The first night she was whining a bit. I went in to fix her blankets thinking that was the problem, but when I pulled the blankets up there was no Hannie. She was down by my feet. I don't know how I didn't step on her.

Last night I heard a loud thump, thinking it was her kicking the wall (which she does when she can't get her blankets right), I waited for some whining. Instead I got, "Mommy, mommy," then her door opened and she started calling for me out in the living room. I called for her and she came into our room and said, "Hannie fall out." Poor thing. I think she is just so squirmy. Luckily her bed is only a foot off the floor.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I keep saying I'm going to call you, and then another week goes by. (Sorry :( )
I'm sad that we didn't get to see you, but I'm glad we can still keep up through our blogs.
Hannie's toddler bed looks like a really nice one! I'm glad she is enjoying it.
Hunter still falls out of his every once in a while, and he's been in it for a whole year. Like you said, though, luckily its only a foot off the ground!