Saturday, January 15, 2011

Dang it!

Sorry, more potty talk...

Ever since we moved into our house our main bathroom toilet has not been agreeable. It plugs on a regular basis without much effort from us. Our plunger was getting used almost daily. And come to find out from our neighbor this is a problem previous occupants had as well. Our neighbor said he used to hang a plunger snake on his fence and just leave it there because the neighbor boy would come over so very often for it.

Bob finally got tired of over-flows and plunging and took matters into his own hands. He bought us a new toilet. The two big sellers were that it only used 1.2 gal of water per flush compared to our old 5 gal, and the claim was that it was (and I quote) "virtually plug free".

My amazing handyman (aka Bob) put the new one in a little over an hour. It was beautiful and flushed so smoothly. Ahhhh, heaven.

The next day it was all the talk in our household. Hannie would proudly say, "New toilet." then stroke the tank. She loved flushing it and was excited that it wasn't loud.

Well, about mid-day she went to the bathroom, I heard a flush then Hannie said, "Dang it, dang it, dang it." (Her new favorite phrase which she uses amazingly in the right context.)

I hurried into the bathroom where I found Hannalee staring into the toilet. She pointed to the toilet and said, "Plugged, dang it." I was too bummed to laugh at her at that moment. Our new toilet already plugged? I flushed it and sure enough it didn't flush all the way.

I was nervous to break the news to Bob when he got home. All that work for nothing. But Bob being an optimist about his handy work surveyed and tested it. His conclusion, we weren't holding the handle long enough. Apparently you have to hold it for about 2 seconds rather than just the quick push down.

So now our plunger is on vacation, we're enjoying a plug free bathroom, and as Hannalee says pointing to the flusher, "It still works."

2 comments:

We're Hatchin' said...

I'm so glad your toilet is working! Sadie decided to flush paper towels down ours and it plugged and was unusable for a few weeks until we got around to it. Thank heaven for handymen husbands--aka free labor!! :) Hopefully there will be no more dang-its from a toilet NOT flushing!

Rachel said...

"It plugs on a regular basis without much effort from us." That was great brit. hahaha made my night! i cant imagine what an actual "effort" must have brought to the equation. hannie is so dang cute. i cant wait to see her this summer!