Friday, October 22, 2010

Pumpkin

As I have previously said, my garden is in ruins this year. My poor pumpkin plants didn't make it past seedlinghood. But, my mini gardener (aka Hannalee) stole my pumpkin seeds earlier this spring. She took them to her sand box, to eat I presume. But one seed was spared and grew into a beautiful pumpkin plant. I kept looking for pumpkins on it and by August I still hadn't seen any. Then out of the blue, there it was all big and green. It turned orange just before the frost hit.


Pointing to her pumpkin.


So excited to show Grandma Dorene.


My amazing gardener and her beautiful pumpkin.


Poor Bubba. Don't you wish you had a cat that was this tolerant?

There is one other pumpkin out there, even bigger than this one. It has hints of orange, but I'm not sure if it is going to change all the way as the plant is dead from the frost.

2 comments:

We're Hatchin' said...

It's good to know that a sand box is a fertile place to plant pumpkins. Very clever Hannalee! Congratulations on the pumpkins. I've been looking at different decorations instead of buying year after year...who knows. Anyway, if the other pumpkin doesn't turn orange on it's own, maybe spray paint will help it out?

Anonymous said...

You're expecting? Congrats! Little boys are so much fun, Hanalee will love having a brother:)