The summer before I had Hannalee I worked at the American West Heritage Center as the summer camp director. I loved being out on the farm and the people there were so nice. If you've never been there it is a historic farm and pioneer site. There are old log cabins, barns, t-pees, and lots of animals. The cool thing about going in the summer is that there are volunteers working there as if the live there. In the farm house there are ladies that cook lunch for the volunteers on the wood burning stove. They wash the actual lunch dishes in tubs on the summer porch and wash laundry the with a scrub board. There are lots of animals so the men are out in the farm yard milking the cow, feeding the animals, and cleaning stalls. Over on the pioneer site, the ladies cook lunch for their volunteers over an open fire. It is so fun to be there because it feels like you stepped back in time 100 years.
This year Hannalee and I are volunteering with school groups at the farm site. Yesterday was our first day and Hannalee loved it.
Here we are all dressed up in costume. One of the mom's from the school groups walked by Hannalee and said, "She is the cutest little girl! Cute, cute, cute," she kept repeating. I do have to admit that she looked adorable in her little dress.
Our job this week was being the "rover". That meant we had to ring the bell every 6 minutes to tell the groups that it was time to rotate.
Hannalee enjoyed at first and would say "bell" as we walked over to it. But by the 10th time of walking back and forth she was getting tired.
It was fun being the rover this time because in between ringing the bell we got to go visit the baby animals. She loved the piglets the most.
Friday, April 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You just HAD to post these pictures to make us jealous, didn't you?!?!
NOT FAIR is all I have to say.
Post a Comment