Our new garden is about the third of the size of our previous one. This has is pros and cons. (One pro I am so happy with is less weeding.)
The biggest con is that it is not big enough to grow everything I want to. One way to solve the lack of ground space was to plant vertical.
In the spring I worked very hard building my plant growing A-frame out of 1 x 1/2 boards; I screwed it all together, stained it and then it tipped over and many of the 1 x 1/2 broke! I had a feeling that the 1 x 1/2 were not strong enough. So I re-built it with 1 x 1's; I screwed it together, stained it, nailed wire netting to it, and... It worked! I was worried it was too tall and that my little baby plants would never grow all the way to the top making it feel like a fort.
See picture below:
Little did I know that not only would they reach the top, but they would also start growing down the other side!
On the east side I planted green beans. They did great and produce the most in my history of gardening. They were also easier to pick this way.
On the west side I planed cucumbers, squash, and a cantaloupe. I didn't mean to plant the cantaloupe on the A-frame. I produced a few cantaloupe, but it didn't like being vertical.
The fact that it created a fort for the kids was fun. It also provided shade in their sand box in the after noon. Hannie loved crawling under it to find green beans.
Thursday, October 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment