Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Our New Garden

 I was so happy that our new house came with a desinated garden area.  That meant we didn't have to put one in.  The garden area was fully enclosed with railroad ties, just like our old house. 

But unlike our old garden this one was about 1/3 the size.  This made Bob very happy since (I will admit) our old garden was just too big for us to handle.  By the end of the summer it was about 3/4 weeds and 1/4 produce.

I will admit that it is nice to have a smaller garden. Just look at it; almost totally weed free.  But it is a bit too small.  For example, I didn't have enough room to plant potatoes.  And we didn't have enough peas. We ate every single pea.  Only 4 got too old (and that was only because they were hiding from us). 

My garden is kinda sacattered in it's layout this year.  I wanted to be able to spray all the weeds out of it before I planted, but I just couldn't wait that long.  So in the west end I planted my spring veggies. (See picture above.)  They are all squished into a little area.  But that allowed me to kill of most of the weeds in the rest of the garden. This also meant that I wouldn't be able to set up my entire watering system. 

So I came up with a wonderful temporary one.  I have my PVC pipes all set up on the east side of the garden. 
 To attach my water source I hooked up these "snap on hose thingies" (sorry don't know the real name for them).  So all I have to do to water is snap my hose on the east section, then snap it on the rasperries, then snap it on the sprayer to finish watering my west end. (Sound confusing but it works wonderful.  Most nights Hannie does the water all by herself.)
Here is Tayo trying to snap the sprayer on the hose.  He is such and observant little kid.  It's crazy that he knows that the two end should snap together.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Very impressive!
We would love to have a garden again, but with the deer and other wildlife, it would require fences and other contraptions to keep them all out. Plus, the weather up here is not nearly as ideal as in California.
Maybe when/if you guys come out, you can help me figure something out!