I told Bob before we got married that we could start any sort of holiday tradition with his family, except the 4th of July. It is the one day of the year where almost all of my dad's family gets together. My family meets at my great-grandma's house which is right across the street from the Huntsville Park where they have the greatest 4th of July celebrations.
The day always starts off with a parade. The parade hasn't changed much over the years. It starts off with the fire trucks followed by the old time cannon and gun shooters. After that it's the kids on bikes (I can't wait till Hannie can do this), followed by floats, old tractors and cars, and of course people on horses.
About 7 years ago, the fire trucks came by squirting people during the parade with water guns. So the next year we decided to retaliate fire with a few squirt guns. Needless to say, the battle grew bigger each year. We got water cannons, water balloons, and hoses. Last year the fire men were claiming all year to get us good and they did. They pulled out the fire hose and drenched us, but they didn't leave with a dry spot on them either. We also enjoyed squirting others in the parade with rules of course. We would not shoot water unless fired upon by water. The poor Jr. High officers had no idea what they were getting into when the fired a small water gun at us.
These pictures are for my family (who I am sure have heard the story by now). In the first picture you can see Crazy Connie just behind Scott in the bucket. I love the look on every one's face in both pictures. They were thinking, "Seriously. She's a grown adult acting like this?"
After that excitement, things went back to the traditions of the 4th. We walk around the park looking at booths and games (I can't wait till Hannie can do these too!). Then we all gather for a potluck lunch and grilled hamburgers. After lunch we hang around being lazy, maybe make it to the melodrama or the action at the park. Bob and his brothers played in a volley ball tournament.
At 7:00 we watched the hypnotist. My uncle went up to do it and it was hillarious to watch. After that we stake out a spot in the park to watch fireworks. I sent Hannalee home with my grandma because she was so tired after a busy day which she would not nap for fear of missing any of the excitement.
When I was younger my mom wouldn't let us go to the park to watch the fire works because they shoot them off directly over your head and she feared we'd get sparks in our eyes. So we'd watch them from my Grandpa and Grandma's yard about a mile or two away. But when I was old enough to decide on my own, I enjoyed watching them at the park. But now that I have Hannalee, I can totally see where my mom is coming from and I'm not too sure I want her down at the park. It's funny how you change when you have kids.
After that excitement, things went back to the traditions of the 4th. We walk around the park looking at booths and games (I can't wait till Hannie can do these too!). Then we all gather for a potluck lunch and grilled hamburgers. After lunch we hang around being lazy, maybe make it to the melodrama or the action at the park. Bob and his brothers played in a volley ball tournament.
At 7:00 we watched the hypnotist. My uncle went up to do it and it was hillarious to watch. After that we stake out a spot in the park to watch fireworks. I sent Hannalee home with my grandma because she was so tired after a busy day which she would not nap for fear of missing any of the excitement.
When I was younger my mom wouldn't let us go to the park to watch the fire works because they shoot them off directly over your head and she feared we'd get sparks in our eyes. So we'd watch them from my Grandpa and Grandma's yard about a mile or two away. But when I was old enough to decide on my own, I enjoyed watching them at the park. But now that I have Hannalee, I can totally see where my mom is coming from and I'm not too sure I want her down at the park. It's funny how you change when you have kids.

8 comments:
Thanks for posting the pictures from the parade, now I can show the rest of the fam all the excitement!
Awesome! I'm so bummed that we missed it again this year (2 years in a row, no fun) We have to make it back up next year or I won't like Eric's job anymore :) We'll be up in 2 more weeks, I'm excited to see you guys.
Thanks for posting those pictures I'm so glad Robin thought to take them. It was good to see you.
thanks for posting the pictures. i love them. this was definitely one of the most memorable 4th's ever.
Ya gotta love the looks on the people's faces in the backgroud behind crazy connie. Thanks for getting that shot.
those pictures are hilarious (minus the incredibly weird close up of yours truely) but you can tell that i was dying laughing and running away because i thought i might wet my pants. it really was so crazy. i cant wait till next year!
This is my favorite holiday too.
I'm glad someone else loves it as much as I do.
Britney-the 4th is my favorite holiday too! I am so glad that you have a blog, love you and miss you tons, iris
Post a Comment