Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Gang


Meet Aflac, Quack, and Waddle

When Bob and I were dating one of our favorite places to go was the duck pond on campus. We loved watching the ducks and both found their quacks and waddles amusing. Last summer I said hesitantly, because I didn't want Bob to think I was crazy, that we should get some ducks. He said that would be an awesome idea! Cool! But by that time there were no baby ducks for sale. So when this year's hatching time rolled around we got on the ball and ordered two white Pekins and one Muscovy (colored like a Mallard). Unfortunately the little Muscovy died on the way to IFA so they gave us three Pekins.

I love watching them! They all stay within reach of each other. If you move one far away they go crazy calling for him and he'll run as fast as his little webbed feet can move back to the group. They don't like to be far away from us either. When I'm out in the yard they follow me everywhere. And if they loose sight of me they start chirping like crazy.

I was nervous about our dog around them, hoping she wouldn't hurt them. The very opposite happened. She has become their duck herder. She watches closely over them and when my dad's dog got near them she attacked his dog.

Hannalee loves to watch them and screams with delight when she sees them. They are not too fond of her since she grabbed hold of one of them by the head. Poor duck, but he's OK.

Now you may be asking yourself, 'What are they going to do with these ducks?' Well, did you know that ducks are good weeders? As long as your garden is bigger then just sprouts the ducks will leave your veggies alone and eat the sprouting weeds. Plus, free entertainment just watching them waddle and quack.

4 comments:

Lindy Salmon said...

I totally blog-stalked you from Alicia's blog :) It brought back memories of watching Warren Miller ski flicks in ski goggles . . . Your little girl is SO CUTE!!!

Lynn said...

I LOVE the ducklings! I'm not sure if we'll be up for the 4th, but we will absolutely be up in July. I so want to see you and your baby(wow! she'll be 1 soon). And as far as cords go, we put stuff in front of them: chairs, boxes, baby gates leaning against the wall. Works well for bookshelves too.

Kristen said...

Hahahahah, I love the little ducks!! So so so cute! I'm glad you are taking advantage of your life in the "country" since we can't.

Ali Andrus said...

Haha, I see that Lindy found you from my blog :) Yay! I helped my friends reunite! I think the little ducklings are adorable. I especially like their names... so so so cute! And so is your little Hannah