Sunday, June 9, 2013

Hannalee Graduates From Preschool

 The passing of the preschool age for Hannalee is quite traumatic for me (not at all of her). 

Looking back...

When Hannalee was just two I talked to Bob about what kind of preschool we should send her to when she got older.  Bob said, "Your a teacher, we don't need to send her to preschool."  Then Hannalee turned 3.  Wow! That was a hard age.  Bob could see me struggling to keep my sanity and said, "Let's find her a preschool." 

We found a wonderful preschool out in the middle of nowhere, about 5 min from our old home.  She loved it from day one.  There was no fear, no shyness, just "Bye, mom.  You don't need to stay."  It was a good break for both of us.  We needed our "me" time.

When we moved to our new home I found a preschool close to our house.  It was okay, but I could tell she was not as happy.  She was always a little timid to go in and way excited to go home.


When we moved into our new house my friend (Annie) said I had the perfect basement for a preschool. I kicked the idea around for a while, figuring out if it would really work.  Then in the summer of 2012, with  help from Annie, we decided to start our own preschool.


We had 6 kids (including our 2 kids), mostly from my ward.  Annie taught on Tuesdays and I taught on Thursdays.  I was GREAT.  I had so much fun teaching again.  And Hannalee thrived.  She treated it just like a regular preschool.  She didn't get possessive over me or her toys.  In fact she started calling me Miss Britney, just like the other kids.  Teaching her in preschool was so rewarding.  I got to see her grow and progress.  I was able to incorporate the things from preschool into the rest of the week too. 


Having her in my preschool made me very attached to my time with her.  I no longer had the 4 hour a week "break".  I was with her every day.  And you know what, I absolutely LOVED it.  That is why her graduating from preschool is so traumatic for me.  It means in only a few short months she will be leaving me.  I know it is only for a few hours a day.  But still...it is a few hours a day without my Hannie.  (Tears are welling up as I type.) 

I am going to miss her.  But also, I am going to miss not knowing what she is doing and learning.  She is not very informative when you ask her about her day. 
Bob: "What did you do in preschool?"  Hannie: "Um sing songs.  That's all."

But for now we are going to have the summer of our lives. We're going to live it up and enjoy ever minute of our time together. 

Congrats to my little preschool grad!  You are so smart!! I love you!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

She will be a great Kindergartener!
And while she's off learning, just think of the fun things you can do with Tayo!
The first few days/weeks of her being in school will be rough, but it gets easier and by next summer, you'll be wishing she was in school again, trust me!