Friday, March 1, 2013

Hannalee Skiing 2013 #1

 Hannalee has been asking all winter when she could go skiing with me.  In January it was just too darn cold.  Finally the weather was warm enough and Bob had the day off.  We decided to take her to Snowbasin.


At first she was very nervous.  She was having a hard time remembering how to stop and slow down.  I was starting to get frustrated too, not knowing how to teach her.


Finally I got out the backpack harness and said, "You lead the way."  And she did great! She a-framed it to slow down and I didn't once have to pull the harness to slow her down or turn her.  (We got the harness from a sweet lady that we bought Hannalee's helmet from.  I love having the harness, not for helping her ski, but just from my security.  I feel like if she ever did get out of control at least I can stop her.) 

When it comes to teaching Hannalee she has to know that she can do it all by herself.  Bob was skiing Becker at the time of Hannalee's skiing breakthrough.  Hannalee was so excited to show her daddy that she could ski all by herself.

The one problem with Hannalee's skiing is that her focus goes from skiing, to those around her in less than a second.  On moment she is skiing great and looking where she is going.  The next moment she is so focused on the kid skiing past her and asking, "How old is he?", that she almost runs into something. She is a constant ball of questions.


On one ride up the lift her goggles fell off.  Someone picked them up before we could get to them.  We hoped they would take them to the ski lift operators.  Ever time we went down to get on the lift Hannalee would ask everyone of them, "Have you seen my goggles? They fell off and we can't find them."  She was not shy to ask.  I ended up finding them hanging on a pole.  The next time we were at the bottom getting on the lift she told the lift attendants, "My mom found my goggles. They were hanging on a pole."  This girl never gets tired of talking.



No comments: