Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Sand Box

One of the things that Hannalee has missed about our old house is the sand box.  So making a sand box was one of our top outside priorities.  The question was where to put it?  I wanted it somewhere out of the way, yet easy to see from my back windows.  I was thinking of putting it between the two trees out back when Bob suggested I just use part of the garden space.


Part of my garden space? But that's my garden space. Then Bob threw out his back and it was all up to me to put in the sand box.  Sigh, I guess I will have to sacrifice some garden space if the sand box was going to get in this year.  I say this because we wanted to put railroad ties all around the sand box.  That is a lot of work for just me.  And my garden already had railroad ties around it.  I would only have to put one in that would separate the garden and the sand box.  So that is what I did.  (And I think I will still have enough garden space.)

First I dug out all the sod. (The old owners let the garden grow over last year.) Next I dug out all the dirt down to the bottom of the rail road ties (hence the pile of dirt the left).  Then I put down weed barrier and stapled it to the rail road ties.  Finally I got sand.  I talked the local dirt pit into a good deal on it.  (And I over calculated how much I really needed.  We have lots of sand, even a little mound behind our house.)

Lets just say that the sand box is a HUGE hit.  Hannalee likes it and has had a lot of fun.

But this little man LOVES it!  He could live in the sand box.  He'll look out the window and see it and whine and point.  If you pick him up out of the sand box before he is done, you'll hear about it.  Yesterday he spent nearly 45 min all by himself just digging in the sand.  I weeded the garden, watered it, mowed the lawn, did laundry, and pushed Hannie in the swing.  All the while Tayo dug.  I too love the sand box.  I can put Tayo outside and I know exactly where he is.  He is so good about not putting it in his mouth too.

Dig on my little man, dig on...


No comments: