I love picking out names for our babies. When it comes to boy names, Bob and I struggle to agree. But when it comes to girl names, we're on the same page.
As soon as we found out we were having a girl I told Bob that I wanted to name her Sarah. He said perfect, as it was one of his all time favorite girl name. Awesome done! But I also wanted it to be unique so we played around with some alternate endings. I liked Sarahbelle, but Bob said it was too girly and he thinks this baby isn't going as girly as Miss Hannalee. We both liked Sarahlee, but that's a bread. When we put the lynn on the end, it grew on us and we love it.
When we name our kids, we don't tell anyone the name until the baby is born. Reasons? It is fun to have a secret, it drives people crazy :), and we don't want any negative input on our choice. This time however it drove someone extra crazy; Hannalee. She wanted to know so bad, but we knew she wouldn't keep it on the down low. She was so worried that we wouldn't have a name, so she came up with her own name and even a list of just-in-case names. Here's what she thought Sarahlynn should be called: The first name she came up with was Polka-dot, but then she decided on Elsa. She also liked Katie and Jessica.
Tayo was the only other person we told. That was because he was so adamant that the baby was going to be named Blue. I would tell him the baby's name and he would say, "No, Blue!" Now when I ask what Sarahlynn's name is he still says Blue. I say, "No, say Sarah." He says, "I don't know how. It's Blue."
But the most special thing about Sarahlynn's name is who she is named after. She is named after two beautiful and great women.
The
first is her great-great grandma Sarah Chard Holmes. When I told my
grandma I was naming her after her mom, she was tickled and even shed
happy tears.
The second person she is named after is my
dear friend Sarah Allen. Sarah is the greatest influence of why am
active in the church. She and her wonderful family kept me on the right
path growing up. Each Sunday, Sarah would call me and offer me a ride
to church. She never got discouraged even when I would go months
without excepting her invite; she'd still call each and every week. I
sat with her family all through my teenage years during sacrament and
learned a lot about worshiping from their example. I pray that our
little Sarah can grow up with as strong of a testimony as she has.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment