Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Hannalee's First Day of First Grade


My little girl started first grade.  I'm not sure where time has gone.  I remember thinking when she was small that it would be forever before I could teach her how to read, yet here it is.
 
She was super excited for school to start.  This girl has no fear of new situations, until she is in the midst of it.  She was a constant bubble of excitement all morning.  Even walking into school she was all smiles and chatters.  Then it hit, the new classroom, new kids, new teacher.  She got really quiet and shy.  Her teacher Mrs. Conger welcomed her in and told her to find a seat anywhere.  It was interesting observing the kids.  Hannalee's class is a 1st/2nd grade split.  So half the kids were in the same class, with the same teacher from last year.  You could tell who those kids were.  They were chatty, so chatty.  The new 1st graders however sat quietly with very forlorn faces.


Hannalee got really anxious.  There was a paper on her desk that she was supposed to fill out.  You know the kind...what's your favorite food, color, etc.  Only Hannie was freaking out because she couldn't read it.  Poor kid. She asked me to stay for a while.  "Sit in the corner and watch for a while," she begged.  I did, but I slowly moved to the door, waved good-bye and snuck out.  Not because I wanted her to be brave, but because I was going to burst into tears.  I couldn't do that in front of a bunch of 6 and 7 year olds.

Wow, what a lonely day at home without my chatter box.  I of course had Tayo and he is wonderful, but every time I walked by Hannie's room I burst into tears again..or if I saw one of her toys, or if there was a moment of silences (and there was a lot of those).  It was a long, sobby kind of day.  Then it was time to go get her.  She hopped in the van all smiles with lots to tell me.  I cried a little bit more then listened intently.  She loved her first day.  She loved her teacher.  She loved her friends.  And surprisingly she wasn't in the least bit tired.  (I thought a full day would wear her out.  Wrong.  She's an energizer bunny.)  I'm so happy that Hannie is happy. That makes it a lot easier on me.


Now I have to do this 5 days a week?  What are Tayo and I to do with ourselves? 

No comments: