Friday, February 22, 2013

Community Arts Photo Class

A couple of years ago I bought my sister-in-law's old DSLR camera. I've attempted to use it many times, but have never been satisfied with the way my pictures turn out. 

This winter I got a flier from the local Community Arts center advertising a digital photography class.  And the real deal grabber was that it was only $35.

Well, you get what you pay for...

The class was taught by a guy that majored in photography back in the day when Polaroid cameras where all the rage.  He didn't even know what ISO on digital cameras did.  He did his best to teach, but the class was not what I was looking for.  It did however make me learn more about my camera (by finding and reading the manual).  I also learned how to understand the numbers for shutter speed and aperture.

Each week we had assignments.  Here are some of those pictures:


Week 1: Landscapes  (Unfortunately this week mainly consisted of very foggy days.)



Week 2: Aperture and Shutter speed (This week didn't turn out so well.)



Week 3: Pictures that Tell a Story...This story is called "A Day with Papa"











Week 4: Portraiture (This was the worst class yet.  We met in a "studio" and he had a bunch of kids he wanted us to take pictures of.  First he said to put the aperture at 11.  All that did was make VERY dark pictures.  When I tried to talk to him about how to lighten my pictures he said not to worry so much about manual and just use auto. Grrr. But I want to know how to use manual, anyone can take a picture in auto.)

 Here is one with aperture 11 in the very low lighting he was trying to have us shoot in.


Here are some I practiced at home after reading more about ISO.


Over all the class was not a complete failure.  1. I got a well needed break away from the kiddos (Thank you Bob!!!)  2. I met some great gals.  3.  I learned some terminology.

1 comment:

Heather W. said...

Me and Danielle took the same class last year, yeah it was a major disappointment! I've seen a few online classes, if you are interested and I can send you the link. Oh I just remembered I have a few blogs that describe the manual process, I'l find them and send them to you. But I think your photos look great!