Monday, August 20, 2012

Hannalee's Room Makeover

 For Hannalee's birthday present I decorated her room from head to toe. 
The Quilt:  I have always know that I would paint Hannalee's bedroom purple. So back in 2009 I started making her a quilt.  It consisted of the white hexagon flowers with the lavender background and then I was going to boarder it in a dark purple.  However as Hannie has gotten older the quilt just didn't "look" like her.  It need to be funner, brighter, more Hannie.  So I redesigned it.  I stayed with the original flowers, but added three applique flowers, a row of Ohio stars, row of applique birds, and a row of pin wheels.  Hannalee loved the quilt and the colors.  When she saw the purple fabric around the edge she said, "Oooo, I looove this fabric!"  (See my quilt blog for more pictures. Someday....:0)


The Wall:  Ever since I was young I wanted to paint a room a lilac purple color.  So that is what I wanted for Hannalee's room.  I picked out a bunch of paint samples, I decided on a really pretty bight purple color.  I painted the wall, but it just wasn't right. The color wasn't right.  It was pretty, but not the lilac color I had envisioned.  The color was too "princess castle purply" and I think it was too dark making the room look smaller.  So after much consideration I decided to get a different color. (Thankfully I'd only done one coat.)  As I was painting on the new color I wanted to cry.  The new color looked almost white compared to the dark purple background.  About half way through I sat on Hannie's bed shaking my head and asking myself what I had done.  But I had to power through and finish it. I couldn't change my mind again.  After all the old purple was covered up I almost jumped up and down and scram with happiness.  (Ok, maybe that is exactly what i did.)  The new purple was the color of my dreams. I love love love it!  It make the room bright and cheery.  The funny thing is Bob loved the first color, but never even noticed that I had changed colors.
The old color.  Tayo is a fan of jumping on Hannies bed.
 
The Tree: After seeing all the cute vinyl wall tree art on pinterest I knew I wanted one too, but not for $100.  I found this one at Hobby Lobby.  It is smaller than I thought, but I love how it looks.

Flower Hooks (great for baby doll diaper bags): Found at Hobby Lobby.  The white one needs to be spay painted blue for a better pop. 

Owl Pillow: I found the pattern from the blog Make It and Love It.  Very fun and easy to make.

 Name Banner: I still may make curtains for Hannie's window, but for now the name banner is perfect. She loves that it spells her name.

Pillows:  The two pillows on the window seat are made from the left over materials from her quilt. 

Book Case: I found this book case at a garage sale.  I painted it white with the pink back.  I love how it turned out.

Picture Collage: I found this awesome frame at a garage sale and spray painted it watermelon pink.  Then a strung lace across the back.  I printed out pictures of Hannalee with her grandparents. She loves seeing her baby pictures.


Baby Doll Bunk bed:  Bob and I made her baby dolls a cosy place to sleep.  I used the plans from Ana White (http://ana-white.com/2011/08/doll-bunk-beds-american-girl-doll-and-18-doll).  I cut the boards then painted them.  Bob helped me put it all together.  It is so sturdy.  I made mattresses, pillows, and mini quilts from left over fabric from Hannie's quilt.  Red Baby and Poppy have been sleeping very well.
Our rigging to keep the bed together while we put the screws in.  Notice the bungee cords. :0)




I love the way her room turned out and you can often find me sitting in there enjoying it.

3 comments:

Lindy Salmon said...

WOW! I love it and I want to hire you to do our girls room :).

Lindi said...

Amazing!! Love the quilt and colors. Happy 4th birthday.

Kristen said...

Um, yes you need to come back and help me with Marie's room!