Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day Vacation

Our Labor Day vacation was very enjoyable.

Day one: We enjoyed time at home working on yard projects. Bob got the last of our new trees planted. (For our house having it's 60 year birthday this coming year, we don't have any mature trees in our yard. There are evidences that there were some, but they were cut down long ago. So, we bought some Cottonless Cottonwoods, fast growers and one of the few trees that will grow in our clay and salt infested soil. So, in a few years you are welcome to come and lounge in our shade. Just beware of the mosquitoes. :0)
I have become self-appointed Yard Irrigation Specialist, so I attempted my second big project. (Which went a bit better than my first. My first project ended in a broken sprinkler head and a 6 foot wide oasis in the middle of our yard.)
My main responsibility as irrigation specialist is to keep our vegetation alive in this desert we live in, but my biggest contract is putting in an efficient sprinkling system for our new grass and a more effective one for our garden. We have sprinklers that cover the whole area, but they are VERY inefficient and use way too much water.
So step one in my new contract is to cut down the tall inefficient sprinklers, put water conserving heads on them, and bury them in them. I cut it down just fine, but I didn't cut it far enough to bury the head deep enough. I attempted many different tools to get it shorter, hacksaw, Leatherman, hand saw, but in the end there is only one perfect tool, Bob. He used his brute strength to cut it back using snips. After that things turned around for the better and I successfully have a 360 degree sprinkler for my new grass.

Day 2: The sabbath. Sundays are getting more difficult with Hannie. Our church is right during her second nap, a very pivotal one for her sanity and ours. She used to be able to fall asleep at church for at least one meeting, but now she refuses and instead is very fussy the whole time. So we switch back and forth who takes her out during what meeting. Hannalee ends up spending all of church in the foyer. The last little while, this hasn't even worked out. She ends up screaming and getting mad out there too. So, much to our dismay, we have worked out a new system. We go to sacrament together. She makes it through the prayers and then we take turns with her in the foyer. After sacrament we draw straws as to who has to take her home and put her down for a nap. The other person gets to enjoy the rest of church. (Nursery is still 7 months away?!)

Day 3: We stayed the night at "Grandma's Bed and Breakfast." Where I woke up to my sweet husband making crapes for everyone. He makes the best crapes and can even flip them with the pan. My grandpa, who doesn't care for change and wanted his pancakes, politely ate one but when Bob asked if he wanted more said plainly, "No."
After breakfast, Bob headed out mountain biking with his brothers and my brother while Hannalee and I hung out on the farm.

We helped Grandma Robin and Grandpa Dino built a shed.

Then we visited the horses.

Doesn't Hannalee look like a natural.

Zoom in and look at the look that Hannalee is giving the horse.

After a hot day it was time for a cool down. Hannie had fun playing with a bucket of water from the leaky hose. She got nice and cool and muddy.

But a little dirt does a baby good because she too a nice nap after that.

Now that she was refreshed it was time for more playing. She played with the little boy and his doggy.

Then she played with the real doggy. But they didn't get along to well. Neither one wanted to talk to each other, especially after Clair nipped Hannie's ear. (Now we're even Bryan.)

I love long weekends. It's always hard to see them end.

2 comments:

Jen Frame said...

Our church is at 1:00 and its AWFUL! I completely understand your pain! But the good news is that nursery is only 5 months away - not 7! And if your ward is like ours, our church time changes in January - so only 3 1/2 months of awful church time!

I LOVE the look that she is giving to the horse! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I haven't checked your blog for a while, Hannalee is so big! Way to go with all the projects, you'll love home canned food, it is so much better than anything you can buy at the store, but it is a lot of work!